Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Indy Spotlight #2 : Women Superstars Uncensored

by Mike Bradford

Promotion: Women Superstars Uncensored
Founded: 2006
Based Out Of: New Jersey
Website: www.WSUWrestling.com
Twitter: @WSUWrestling

WSU World Heavyweight Champion:
Jessicka Havok


WSU Spirit Champion:
Jessicka Havok


WSU Tag-Team Champions:
The Midwest Militia (Sassy Stephie and Allysin Kay)



Thoughts: Let me get this out of the way right from the start: WSU is a Northeastern US promotion that focuses on women’s wrestling. If WWE is your only source of wrestling, I could understand why you would be turned off by the idea of women’s wrestling. WWE reduced its Diva's division to models competing in two minute matches which are less than stellar. There is hope for WWE's female division, as they have Beth Phoenix, Natalya, and Kharma under contract, but unless things really heat up upon Kharma’s return, it would just be more of the same. The women of WSU are not models or Divas, they are legitimate wrestlers doing what they love.

If you’re looking for mistletoe on a pole, mud wrestling, or bra and panties matches, then WSU is the absolute wrong place. Some of these matches have more action and tell a better story than those featuring male counterparts. As I mentioned, these women are WRESTLERS and wrestling is the primary focus.

While the matches are great, the thing that stood out most to me in the time I’ve been following WSU was the storyline involving Mercedes Martinez and Jessicka Havok. It’s still taking place and it’s absolutely captivating how these women have made it so believably personal. You feel the emotion and hatred in their promos, and that really brings an intensity into the ring that’s hard for me to describe. Their match at the 5 Year Anniversary event made me want to follow the promotion for years to come. The build up and the anticipation I felt for that match must’ve been what WWE wanted me to feel for The Rock vs. Cena. Realizations like that are why I love the independent wrestling scene. The stuff that these women put out is pure, and it shows.

Note: I’ll be doing a different “Indy Spotlight” each week, which will hopefully be posted on Wednesdays. All “Indy Spotlights” are written by me, and me alone and my opinions may not match the other writers on this site. If you are wrestler, promoter, or fan of a promotion that you think I should take a look at, please drop me a line at mikebradfordftlow@gmail.com or on twitter @Bradford_FTLOW. I’m not expecting anything free, I have no problem supporting you by buying a DVD.

Contact me on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@Bradford_FTLOW | #FTLOW