Sunday, September 16, 2012

WWE Night of Champions Predictions

w/ Alex Archer & Violet Buttle

CM Punk (c) vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship

Alex: Before Heyman got involved, I thought Cena was going to come away from Night of Champions with the title and then go on to eventually face The Rock at the Royal Rumble. With Heyman now in the mix, I think the more compelling story would be to have Punk win in some sort of Heyman-influenced way, and then have Punk face off against The Rock with Heyman (and whoever else is involved by then) on his side. Even if that isn't the plan, I still think Punk wins tonight now that Heyman is involved.

Violet: I don't see any reason for Punk to drop the title here. I'm not sure how Punk's new relationship with Heyman will play into things, but I really hope that we see something fun and unexpected.

Sheamus (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship

Alex: The ban on the Brogue Kick has to come into play somehow in this match, or else the last 3 weeks have been a waste of time. I don't think Sheamus will use it and be stripped of the title, but I think he may set up to use it, get stopped by the referee, and then take a cheap shot from Del Rio. If I had to pick, I would say Del Rio finally goes over, and Ziggler cashes in, setting up a triple-threat for the next pay-per-view.

Violet: Even with the ban on the Brogue Kick, I still have a hard time believing Del Rio has any chance of winning here.

The Miz (c) vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Sin Cara for the Intercontinental Championship

Alex: This is a tough one, but I'd put my money on The Miz retaining. Mysterio doesn't need it, Sin Cara as IC Champ makes no sense, and Cody doesn't really need the title back. Whatever the outcome, don't expect to see these four go their separate ways after tonight.

Violet: These four mean could have an entertaining feud for the belt, so I think that Miz retains and the feud continues. And really, what else would these four guys be doing anyway? If done correctly, this match can elevate the status of the Intercontinental Title and the man who walks away victorious.

Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. the winner of the preshow battle royal

Alex: This is a tough one to predict since we don't know the battle royal participants, but if Smackdown was any clue, it might be Brodus Clay. I think it would be silly to take the belt of Cesaro already without letting him have a serious feud, but if dropping the belt led to a serious feud where he chased, then it would make sense.

Violet: I'll be very disappointed if Cesaro drops the belt already. But I don't think he will.

Kofi Kingston & R Truth (c) vs. Daniel Bryan & Kane for the WWE Tag Team Championship

Alex: I don't think anyone is giving Kofi and Truth a shot here. The Team Friendship angle so much going for it that a run at the top of the tag division could finally give it the boost it needs to become relevant again. Kane and Bryan have great chemistry in and out of the ring, and adding the title belts to their act could provide for some great tag matches and some great comedy segments. I can't believe I'm interested in Kane. Daniel Byran is a magician.

Violet: I don't think Bryan and Kane would be in this match if they weren't booked to win it. I'm excited by the idea of these two guys as tag champs. They've got surprisingly good chemistry, and the crowds eat their act up. And, besides, it's about time Kingston ditches Truth and returns to singles competition.

Layla (c) vs. Kaitlyn for the Divas Championship

Alex: I'm interested in how Eve will become involved in the match or the aftermath, but that's about it. I guess Layla retains? Who cares?...

Violet: I'm not at all interested in Layla or Kaitlyn. I am interested in just how much this match will resemble a train wreck.

Randy Orton vs. Dolph Ziggler

Alex: I guess my prediction for this match depends on what order the card is in. If they're first, I think Ziggler wins and cashes in. If they're after the title match and he doesn't cash in, I think Orton wins. Either way I hope that this feud ends tonight and Ziggler moves closer to, or into, the title picture.

Violet: After being made to fool like a fool constantly, I think Ziggler really needs to start winning if we're ever supposed to believe (a) he cashes in the MITB briefcase and wins (b) if he ever gets the title, he holds onto it for longer than a week.


Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | #FTLOW