Wednesday, September 12, 2012

TNA No Surrender Results and Afterthoughts

w/ Alex Archer & Violet Buttle

Austin Aries challenges a member of Aces and Eights

Alex: Not much to say about this one.  After all was said and done, all this brawl accomplished was setting up the Jeff Hardy injury storyline.  I definitely wasn't impressed.  Hogan telling the "Orlando PD" what to do after the brawl was a good laugh.  "Obstruction of Hulkamania" and "keeping 24 inch pythons without a permit" are serious offenses!

Violet: This fight had such a small impact on me that I had to look up what happened. Not a good sign. It seemed as if Aries missed several opportunities to remove the mask of his opponent. I get that TNA is probably aiming toward a big reveal at Bound for Glory, but it kind of just made Aries look silly.

Jeff Hardy defeated Samoa Joe to advance in the BFG Tournament

Alex: I really enjoyed the match these two put on.  I expected Hardy to go over, but I was hoping the loss would send Joe directly onto something else.  I was hoping for maybe a post-match, hard heel turn, or something like that.  Joe is a great talent and can still put on great matches, but his lack of character at this point is frustrating.

Violet: This match for was nothing special, but it was pleasant to watch.

Bully Ray defeated James Storm to advance in the BFG Tournament

Alex: Although I'm not usually very into matches that feature James Storm, I enjoyed this one.  Both guys worked pretty hard and it showed.  I also liked the finish, it was surprising.  You can usually smell TNA cheap finishes a mile away, but this one got me.  I like that it left the BFG Tournament wide open for Bully or Hardy, and I'm more interested in a Roode/Storm feud than I've ever been.  If they decide to have them clash at Bound for Glory, I hope they really make it feel huge for Storm to be getting his hands on Roode. 

Violet: I was pleasantly surprised by this match. I kind of hated the idea of Storm returning after his big championship  loss to Roode and ascending to the top with ease. Storm is much more interesting when he's fighting harder. Roode's interference in Storm's match with Bully Ray was well-played and certainly unexpected, especially since I was 100% sure it would be an easy win for Storm.

Jeff Hardy defeated Bully Ray to win the BFG Tournament

Alex:  The injury angle was strange, and it made Hardy look like a trooper for coming out and competing, but I can't help but feel they missed an opportunity to reveal someone on the TNA roster as an Aces and Eights plant and/or leader.  It seemed like they were dangling Bully Ray as a potential leader or member, but he ended up losing.  They could still go that way, but I fell like this was a big opportunity that they missed out on.  I like Hardy winning the whole thing and look forward to his match with Aries at BFG.

Violet: I might be in the minority with my opinion, but I'm glad to see Hardy walk away as the BFG series winner. I know that there was never  much hype surrounding his position in the series (hell, he even lost a  series match to Robbie E), but I like to see an unexpected winner.

Christopher Daniels & Kazarian defeated AJ Styles & Kurt Angle to retain the TNA Tag Team Championship

Alex: Kaz and Daniels are one of the best acts in wrestling right now, and that says something considering they were mixed up with that awful Claire Lynch storyline for what seemed like forever.  This was a good match with another screwy finish, but the screwy finish fit the bill here.  Even if you didn't like the finish, you have to admit that they put on the match of the night.

Violet: I'm glad to see the Kazarian/ Daniels title reign continue. The only good thing to come out of the Claire Lynch storyline is this partnership.

Zema Ion defeated Sonjay Dutt to retain the X Division Championship

Alex:Without having any buildup on TV over the last few weeks, Ion and Dutt were able to go out there and tell a story pretty well.  The clips before the match definitely helped (as they set up the shoulder injury angle), but both guys did a very good job in the ring.  I'm excited that Zema retained, but I'd be lying if I said that I thought this would get him back on TV every week.

Violet: If these two were given some TV time to flesh out their feud, this match would have been more memorable. However, I was glad to see Ion win a match (especially a title match) clean. I certainly hope they keep him as champion until Jesse Sorensen returns. That feud would elevate the status of both men, as well as the belt.

Miss Tessmacher defeated Tara to retain the Knockouts Championship

Alex: Eh, it was an ok match.  Tessmacher still hasn't won me over and I'd much rather see the belt around Tara's waist.  That said, Tessmacher wasn't terrible in this one.  I predicted she would retain, so that was no surprise.

Violet: We all knew that Tessmacher had something to prove after her loss to Tara on the most recent Open Fight Night, so her win felt inevitable. It's a shame though; I'd like to see Tara as champion.

Rob Van Dam vs. Magnus

Alex: Great match from these guys.  Hopefully Magnus proved to someone in TNA booking that he can go in the ring and put on a pretty good singles match.  I was hoping Magnus would win and his heel push would continue, but such is life.  Hopefully they keep pressing on even though he got the loss.  A rematch victory on Impact would do the trick.

Violet: After losing a bunch of matches due to his foolish thumb pointing routine, I thought for sure we'd see RVD lose again in the same fashion. But, for reasons I can't understand, RVD got the pin. Will Magnus ever catch a break? He's a million times more engaging and charismatic on the mic than most of the guys (and girls) on the roster. Use him!

Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | #FTLOW