Monday, November 19, 2012

WWE Survivor Series Results & Afterthoughts

w/ Alex Archer & Violet Buttle

CM Punk defeated John Cena and Ryback to retain the WWE Championship

Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, & Roman Reigns
Alex: The match itself was much more entertaining than I expected it to be. The spot where Cena and Punk worked together to put Ryback through the announce table was very well done. I expected Punk to get some sort of flukey win, but I don't think anyone expected the internet-swoon-inducing combination of Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, and (to a lesser extent) Roman Reigns to debut and destroy Ryback. It'll certainly be interesting to see how these three tie into the Punk/Heyman/Cena/Ryback story going forward.

Violet: I knew that Punk would retain, but I had no idea that he’d have the help of Ambrose, Reigns, and Rollins. Tonight, I can’t wait for Punk to celebrate a full calendar year as champion, and I can’t wait for these three guys to explain their actions.

Sheamus defeated Big Show via Disqualification

Chair match incoming
Alex: Sheamus and Big Show weren't able to recreate the feel of their Hell in a Cell match, but it was still mildly entertaining. It looks like we'll get Big Show/ Sheamus in a chairs match next month at TLC, so any hope of this feud ending last night are shot.

Violet: This was a strong effort, but I still can’t get into either of these guys. I was hoping that this would be the end of their feud, but judging from Sheamus’s post-match rampage, I’m guessing that we’ll see these two in a chairs match at TLC.

Team Ziggler defeated Team Foley in a traditional Survivor Series Elimination Match

Alex: I predicted Ziggler and Sandow surviving... Ziggler was the sole survivor and Sandow was eliminated first. I guess I broke even. This was a good match, but I think the opening elimination match was more fun to watch. I like that Ziggler got a clean pin on Orton, and I like even more that it came off a superkick and not a normal finisher. Things like that make the WWE seem more unpredictable, which is something they desperately need to try and boost ratings and buy rates back up. The Miz remaining babyface and working the crowd the way he did was the most surprising part of the match. There's just some guys that seem weird playing a babyface, and Miz is one of them.
Team Foley vs. Team Ziggler
Violet: A lot of things happened in this match that surprised me.  Miz pinned Barrett, and he did not turn on his team. Sandow was the first heel pinned, not Otunga. And Ziggler was the sole survivor!  Being that this is practically the first time he has won a match since Money in the Bank, I guess he can only get the job done when the stakes are high.

Antonio Cesaro defeated R-Truth to retain the US Championship

...and STILL United States Champion
Alex: There was never a doubt in my mind that Cesaro was retaining. I have nothing against Truth, but his Little Jimmy act has got to go. It seemed to be over early on, but that gimmick is on life support. Cesaro looked great, and I hope to see him move onto a more serious feud.

Violet: Cesaro has had a fairly unremarkable title reign, but I don’t think it’s his fault. I blame Santino, Justin Gabriel, and R-Truth. If the man was given a believable opponent or a legitimate feud, I think there’d be much more substance to what he’s doing.

Eve defeated Kaitlyn to retain the Diva's Championship

Alex: Another convincing win from Eve. Given time, there are a few divas on the roster than actually perform and string together a good match. Eve is definitely one of them, and Kaitlyn wasn't bad herself. I enjoy the story they've been telling with Eve, and I hope it continues to shine a light on the diva's division.

"The move that no one could name"
Violet: This was one of those rare Divas matches where the participants actually had the chance to tell a story in the ring. Both girls did a good job of playing their parts, but Eve was the star here. When given the time, she can be quite impressive in the ring.



Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Tyson Kidd, & Justin Gabriel survived in a traditional Survivor Series Elimination Match (Mysterio, Sin Cara, Kidd, Gabriel, & Brodus Clay vs. Primo & Epico, The Prime Time Players, & Tensai)

Alex: I think the opening elimination match was actually better than the one that followed later in the night. I liked that they took out the big men first and really focused on the tag teams that were involved in the match. It was a good way to kick off the pay-per-view.
Four out of five aint bad
Violet: This match was nothing special, but it was fun and it gave some guys who typically don’t get PPV time a chance to show off what they can do.  Except for Brodus Clay. What is the WWE planning to do with him?


Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | #FTLOW