Monday, June 18, 2012

WWE No Way Out Results and Afterthoughts

w/ Alex Archer, Violet Buttle, & Mike Bradford
John Cena defeats Big Show in a Steel Cage Match

Alex: The era of People Power seems to be over, but the era of Super Cena winning every match lives on!  Such a boring, slow paced match.  I almost didn't make it through this whole thing.

Violet: So boring. I am interested to see what happens with Laurinaitis tonight, but other than that, I don't care.

Mike: This match was slow moving and didn't really entertain me. I found myself hoping for the match to just end. We all know Johnny will be back, so seeing him fired isn't at all shocking for jaded fans. Kids are probably stoked, though. Above all, I hope Show moves on to feud with Brodus.  That has more potential than anything he was doing with Cena.

CM Punk defeats Daniel Bryan and Kane to retain the WWE Championship

Alex: This match exceeded my expectations.  All of the pre-match AJ segments were great and really had me questioning her motives.  All three guys were great in the ring.  Even Kane, who I very rarely care about, was able to keep my attention.  My only complaint here is that AJ wasn't out at ringside from the start.  Like Over the Limit last month, I was just unable to buy into any of the near falls because I knew she would be making an appearance.  Her smile back at Punk as Kane carried her out, however, was extremely well done.

Violet: Kane did much better here than I expected, and I’m actually appreciative of the role he’s played in this storyline. The wrestling here was good, but the real star of this match was AJ. That look on her face as Kane carried her away was perfect. I am constantly impressed by how much better her acting gets week after week. She’s probably the WWE star having the most fun right now. The only thing I didn’t like here was the GTS that Bryan took at the end of the match and didn’t return from.

Mike: Obviously I'm not huge on Kane. That being said, he didn't slow down this match as much as I thought he would. Everyone looked good in the match, and it should have been the main event. It is, after all, the flagship championship in the company. The AJ story keeps getting more interesting, and I love it.

Sheamus defeats Dolph Ziggler to retain the World Heavyweight Championship

Alex: I didn't expect Ziggler to go over, but I was really hoping they wouldn't have him take a White Noise and a Brogue Kick to finish the match.  I'm completely over Sheamus as a babyface.  He has decent matches, but the finishes are so stale.  Not as stale as his babyface promos, but stale nonetheless. 

Violet: My favorite part of this so-so match was the beginning. I actually believed Sheamus would win this match in the same exact fashion he won at WrestleMania, and I was pleasantly surprised when Ziggler was able to outwit the big buffoon. The ending here was pretty anti-climatic. I was hoping for something more exciting than another Brogue Kick.

Mike: A great match to open with but not the best choice. It seems like the WHC has been opening a lot of shows lately. Luckily, Sheamus has been able to have good matches with whoever he's been in the ring with. Ziggler showed why he deserved to be in that match. Look for him to be involved with Money in the Bank.

Christian defeats Cody Rhodes to retain the Intercontinental Championship

Alex: Christian and Cody put on a pretty good match, but for some reason I found my mind wandering.  Their mic work together is great, but the in-ring stuff last night just wasn't clicking for me.  I'm not sure if this is the end of their feud, but if it isn't, I hope they find some way to make it seem fresh.

Violet: This match had a pretty slow start, but the action and the crowd definitely picked up at the end. I don’t mind Christian retaining, but I really miss him as a heel. He’s kind of boring now.

Mike: Started off slow, but eventually got going. These guys work very well together, and, hopefully, they continue feuding during the summer. Seeing Cody regain the title at Summerslam wouldn't disappoint me. A solid feud for the title would certainly help make it mean something again.

Santino defeats Ricardo Rodriguez in a Tuxedo Match

Alex: What a waste of time.  What a waste of the US Title.  What a waste all around.

Violet: This segment was every bit as awful as I expected to be.  Please, please, someone take that title off Santino!
Mike: Not much to say about this that hasn't already been said. The only part that entertained me was when Santino yelled "This is my only Tuxedo!" Yes, that part made actually made me chuckle. After that, I was bored.

Sin Cara defeats Hunico w/Camacho

Alex: Did we somehow travel back in time for this match?  They need to either find someone else that Sin Cara can work with, or they need to ditch him and give Hunico a real story.  Sin Cara's spots are fun to watch, but Hunico is clearly the better wrestler of the two (in terms of WWE style wrestling).

Violet: Okay. I’d like to see Sin Cara in a feud now.

Mike: These guys have a history that WWE could explore and use as a story, but instead they'll just use crazy lighting and only a few lucha moves. Why was this on PPV?

Layla defeats Beth Phoenix to retain the WWE Divas Championship

Alex: The live crowd (and my living room crowd) couldn't care less about Layla.  Seeing her dance around the ring with Beth's headband on during a title match was just ridiculous.  Can someone blow her knee out again, please?

Violet: As always, I’m disappointed to see a pretty girl beat a legitimate female wrestler. Not that Layla is bad, she just isn’t at Phoenix’s level. And the crowd couldn’t care less about her.  Initially, I was a supporter of Layla after her return, but that weird impression/dance/joke thing at the beginning of the match really turned me against her. Isn’t the Divas division enough of a joke? Just wrestle, ladies.

Mike: We've seen that Layla can have a match, so why make her look so stupid? Bring back Kharma so she can fight Beth at Summerslam, please.

Prime Time Playas won a Fatal Four Way tag match to become the Number One Contenders

Alex: This was one of the best matches of the night.  There was a ton of action, and it was great to see the WWE giving not only the tag division so much pay-per-view time, but also spotlight the young stars involved.  All four teams could have great futures in the WWE if they actually give them the time to flesh out the characters and create stories for them.  The AW swerve at the end is a perfect example of that.

Violet: I was wondering when the A.W. storyline would continue. I was beginning to think the WWE was hoping we’d forget about it (Anonymous GM-style).  The pay-off was worth the wait, and I’m interested to see if a feud between Primo/Epico and The Prime Time Playas does anything useful for the tag division. And it was good to see Justin Gabriel back! Him and Kidd could be a real fun team.

Mike: All of the teams had time to shine, which was great. This was actually the match of the night for me. There has been a lot of talk that the tag team division had been failing so it was great to see WWE making an effort to right the ship. AW helps provide a storyline in a division that desperately needs one.

Ryback defeats two jobbers

Alex: Ryback yelling "Feed me three!" is the only intriguing thing that's happened with this character since his debut.  Feed. Him. A program! (no, beating up multiple jobbers twice a week is not a program)

Violet: Enough already!

Mike: Stop chanting Goldberg. I agree that he doesn't need to be on PPV without a story, but he's more impressive than Goldberg ever was. I hope he faces three guys either tonight or Friday.

Brodus Clay defeats David Otunga

Alex: I won't lie to you, I didn't bother watching this.  The result was obvious, why waste my time?

Violet: Father’s Day took precedence over this match. From what I read, I didn’t miss anything important.

Mike: Nothing to write home about here. A count out finish? Really? This match did nothing for either of the guys in it.


Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | @Bradford_FTLOW | #FTLOW