Monday, May 14, 2012

TNA Sacrifice Results and Afterthoughts

w/ Alex Archer and Violet Buttle
Bobby Roode defeated Rob Van Dam in a Ladder Match to retain the TNA Championship

Alex: The ladder match stipulation definitely added something to the match, but there was never any doubt that Roode was coming out on top.  It looked like RVD botched the ladder jump at the end of the match, and then looked to possibly be hurt immediately after that, so I'm not sure that we saw the planned finish.  Still, the match was good, and it was good to see Roode finally get a clean win.

Violet: I was surprised to see Roode retain the title with a clean victory. After all of the cheating and conniving Roode has taken part in over the past few months, this win, unfortunately, doesn’t do enough to legitimize him.

Christopher Daniels & Kazarian defeated Samoa Joe & Magnus for the TNA Tag Team Championship

Alex: I really hope they keep Joe and Magnus together as a team, put Styles and Angle together, and have both of those teams feud with Daniels and Kazarian for the tag titles.  Add MCMG into that mix, and you have a pretty nice tag scenario.  Kaz and Daniels are pretty good as a tag team, so I don't mind them coming away with the belts here.

Violet: I don’t really mind Magnus and Joe losing the titles if it leads to any of the following: a feud with Daniels and Kazarian, Daniels and Kazarain use the title to fuel their story with Styles, and/or they keep Magnus and Joe working together as a team. If this was just a title change for the sake of a title change, I’ll be disappointed.

Gail Kim defeated Brooke Tessmacher for the TNA Knockouts Championship

Alex: The match was ok, but I would much rather see Gail competing against wrestlers instead of models playing wrestler.  Don't get me wrong, Tessmacher has improved, but at the same time, she isn't impressive in the slightest.

Violet: Kim is clearly more talented than most of her opponents, so I wish she didn’t have to cheat to win all of her title matches.  I am, however, glad that she won.

Devon defeated Robbie T. & Robbie E. to retain the TNA TV Championship

Alex: This match was lose-lose-lose.  With the TV title being defended at every show, you'd think they'd put the belt on someone more exciting than Devon.  He looks good, considering his age, and his matches have been decent, but I'm just so disinterested in him and the Robbie's that it's very hard to care about the TV title.

Violet: ...

Kurt Angle defeated AJ Styles

Alex: The first 7 or 8 minutes of this match was a bit slow, but it eventually picked up.  It was your typical Kurt Angle pay-per-view match full of near falls and stolen finishers, which, to me, isn't a bad thing.  It's what I was hoping for and I wasn't disappointed.  The finish was obvious from a mile away.  Hopefully this leads to Angle and Styles teaming, which could be a nice change of pace for both guys.

Violet: The ending of this match was so obvious that it made the action sort of boring.

Mr. Anderson defeated Jeff Hardy

Alex: I find it hard to believe that Hebner didn't botch that count on purpose to keep these two occupied with each other leading up to the next pay-per-view.  Hardy, Anderson, and even Taz did a good job of selling that it was a blown count.  Tenay, of course, is an idiot.

Violet: I don’t really understand the ending to this match. Was it supposed to look like Hebner messed up or did he seriously mess up? Either way, neither man lost or gained much here.

Austin Aries defeated Bully Ray

Alex: Match of the night.  Aries took a nasty bump off the top that left some nasty welts on his back.  Both guys worked really hard to tell the big man vs. big heart story.  The Joseph Park involvement was unnecessary and really brought the match down quite a bit.  I was interested in this story when Park first showed up, but every week it gets more cartoonish and Abyss-like, which just sucks.

Violet: This was probably the most entertaining match of night, but I wish that Joseph Park stayed in his seat. Better yet, I wish he didn’t even show up.

Crimson defeated Eric Young w/ ODB

Alex: It was nice to see Eric Young and ODB get on the pay-per-view as they're one of my favorite acts in TNA right now.  EY got in a ton of good offense, much more than I expected.  Crimson won and kept his streak alive, and EY looked more legit than he has in months.  As an unadvertised match, I was very happy with it.

Violet: EY got in way more offense than I thought he would. In fact, he looked the best he has in awhile during their impromptu match with Crimson. I’m interested to see how EY reacts to the way ODB was treated by Crimson. I would think this could lead to a fun feud, but I don’t think anyone would ever treat EY as a serious opponent for Crimson.

Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | #FTLOW