Saturday, May 5, 2012

Indy Spotlight #4: Chikara Pro

by Mike Bradford

Promotion Name: Chikara Pro
Founded: 2002
Based Out Of: Philadelphia, PA
Website: www.chikarapro.com
Twitter:@chikarapro
Chikara Grand Champion
Eddie Kingston
 Chikara Campeonatos de Parejas
F.I.S.T. (Johnny Gargano and Chuck Taylor)
2011 Chikara Young Lions Cup Winner
Tadasuke

Thoughts: Simply put, Chikara is fun. The promotion provides styles of professional wrestling seen in Mexico and Japan, infusing family friendly comedy, and presenting it as comic book come to life. Chikara wants you to have a good time while watching their product and as a result, the characters are often over the top. To me, none of that is a bad thing. I believe Chikara succeeds with it’s brand of entertainment, and a lot of that has to do with the athleticism and personality of the performers. While some of the matches are made to be campy and fun, others are full of high flying moves, fast paced action, and great wrestling.

The production of the Chikara iPPVs and DVDs are above average, and the commentary provided is entertaining. A major selling point for the DVDs is the absolutely incredible artwork done on the covers. If you need a reminder that professional wrestling is supposed to be fun, you have to give Chikara a try. I promise that you will not be disappointed. There are very few places that you can see two groups of giant ants feuding in the ring. Chikara is also a great way to show your children that wrestling is just as much about the sport as it is the spectacle by providing a show with cartoonish characters who provide some of the best wrestling in the independents.

Chikara is home to fantastic tag team action that you’re really not going to see in WWE. The division is treated with pride and displays some of the some of the most innovative double and triple team action in the sport. As far as women’s wrestling goes, Chikara is home to “The Queen of Wrestling” Sara Del Ray as well as a great up and comer, Saturyne. These two often put on great matches against the male wrestlers on the roster, and are treated as equals. Chikara is one of my favorite promotions, and it has my full recommendation and endorsement.

Note: I’ll be doing a different “Indy Spotlight” each week, which will hopefully be posted on Wednesdays. All “Indy Spotlights” are written by me, and me alone and my opinions may not match the other writers on this site. If you are wrestler, promoter, or fan of a promotion that you think I should take a look at, please drop me a line at mikebradfordftlow@gmail.com or on twitter @Bradford_FTLOW. I’m not expecting anything free, I have no problem supporting you by buying a DVD.

Contact me on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling : @Bradford_FTLOW | #FTLOW