Monday, July 16, 2012

WWE Money in the Bank Results and Afterthoughts

w/ Alex Archer & Violet Buttle

CM Punk defeated Daniel Bryan in a No DQ Match w/ Special Guest Referee AJ to retain the WWE Championship

Alex: Daniel Bryan and CM Punk put on a clinic. This was a great match that didn't get too over the top with the no DQ stipulation. Often, these matches turn into a weapons-fest, but they kept it minimal, only using the table and getting in some brutal chair shots. AJ played her part well and it looks like (hopefully) this trio will continue to work together.

Violet: Punk and Bryan wrestled a relatively long and engaging match. However, I feel like the quality of the match is overshadowed by how anticlimactic the ending was. WWE had done an uncharacteristically good job of building intrigue around the AJ/Punk/Bryan storyline for weeks only to deliver absolutely no payoff last night. AJ played a minimal role in the action of the match, and Punk won with little fanfare before the pin. I was expecting an exciting ending with a new storyline twist, but instead I got a rather bland ending that didn’t do the match or storyline justice.

Sheamus defeated Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship

Alex: I was mildly entertained, which is surprising considering this was a Sheamus match and everyone in the world knew the finish long before it happened. Sheamus won via Brogue Kick. Cool. I'm also not a fan of Ziggler getting punked out right after he won the briefcase.

Violet: This match was so slow and boring. As expected, Sheamus came away with yet another victory. Not only am I growing tired of Sheamus’s title reign, but I am sick of him winning every title match with a Brogue Kick.

John Cena won the Raw Money in the Bank Ladder Match

Alex: I think we all knew this was coming, as well. Adding Miz into the mix was a nice way to spice up the match and maybe get some doubt into people's minds as to who was going to win. The match itself was pretty entertaining. The fact that my main gripe is that it went on after the WWE Championship is a good sign that the match wasn't terrible. That said, I'm excited to see what Cena does with the briefcase, which I'm a little ashamed to admit.

Violet: How cool would it have been for Miz to win the briefcase and reestablish himself as a main event wrestler and a credible heel? Of course that didn’t happen, but it was still good to see him back. I had fairly low expectations for this match, and I surprised by how interesting the action was. I was not surprised, however, that Cena won.

Dolph Ziggler won the SmackDown Money in the Bank Ladder Match

Alex: I predicted Cody Rhodes or Ziggler to win, and after seeing Ziggler selling his bumps like he was dead (as usual), I really thought Cody had it wrapped up. It was great to see Ziggler get the win, I just hope that he isn't the first to cash in and lose. The match itself started off a bit sloppy, but it was so fast paced that any botches were ancient history within a few seconds. All of the guys involved did a great job.

Violet: This was the match I was most looking forward to, but I’m left feeling kind of ambivalent about it. It was very fast paced, which was a fun surprise. However, I’m fairly certain that the quick pace contributed to some sloppily executed spots. I wish that we got to see more of Sandow, and I wish we didn’t have to see the Cobra at all. I’m glad Ziggler scored a much deserved win, but I worry that he’ll be the first MITB winner to unsuccessfully cash in his briefcase (which was teased soon after his win).

Primo & Epico defeated the Prime Time Playas

Alex: Primo looked better than he's looked since entering the WWE. Other than that, it was a fun match, but in the end, this was just filler. At least the tag champs finally got involved in the only tag storyline going.

Violet: Well, it’s about time the tag champs get involved in the only tag team storyline in WWE. I’m a little confused as to why the number contenders would lose a PPV match, but I guess it helps to establish Primo, Epico, and Rosa as people we should be cheering for.

Ryback defeated Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks in a Handicap Match

Alex: This was Ryback's best match to date. That isn't saying much, but it was good to see that he can sell when he needs to. I'm interested in what they're going to do with him next. So, job well done, I guess.

Violet: This was Ryback’s best match to date, but it was still too much of the same.

Layla, Kaitlyn, & Tamina defeated Beth Phoenix, Natalya, & Eve

Alex: Did this match even happen? Why waste everyones time with a 6-Diva tag match that means nothing to anyone? I really hope they do more with Eve than just stick her back into the clusterfuck that is the Diva's division. She played her character very well when she was Big Johnny's lackey.

Violet: What a waste of time.


Contact us on Twitter to discuss this article or anything wrestling :
@TheAlexArcher | @VioletButtle | @Bradford_FTLOW | #FTLOW